During bed bug awareness week (April 22-April 26) the National Pest Management Association does a good deal of publicity to spread the awareness of bed bug and bed bug related education for the general public. For this year the NPMA Did a survey related to bed bugs called the Bugs Without Borders Survey on Bed Bugs. The NPMA’s survey was directed at the professionals who treat for bed bugs. Here is a summary of their findings:
- 76% of all surveyed pest management professionals find that bed bugs are THE MOST difficult pest to control.
- A whopping 99.6% of all surveyed pest management professionals have either asked to perform a bed bug treatment or have performed a bed bug treatment within the past year! That is truly a great percentage!
The professionals that have treated for bed bugs within the past year have treated
- 98% of PMPs have treated in mult-unit apartment buildings
- 96% of PMPs have treated in single family homes
- 75% of PMPs have treatedIn hotels/motels
- 47% of PMPs have treated in college dorms
- 41% of PMPs have treated in schools/daycare centers
- 33% of PMPs have treated in hospital or health care settings
- 21% of PMPs have treated some sort of public transportation
The scariest statistic that the National Pest Management Association has found that 72% of PMPs claim that the incidence of bed bug infestations have gone up in their service area. Yikes!