Hot temperatures, humidity, heavy rain, fleas and ticks are all something that there is an abundance of in NYC during the summer months. Here at Northeastern Exterminating we have been noticing a rise in the calls about fleas and ticks. We find that its our duty to educate the public and give some tips that we would feel can help you decrease the chance of infesting your pets with fleas and ticks, as well as bringing them into your home.
- Keep your backyards, and children’s outdoor play areas clear of fresh grass clippings, brush, dead leaves and wood debris. These are all areas that are easy for fleas and ticks to hang out and hide in to wait for a host to grab onto.
- If you have pets, groom and bathe them frequently. Try to do it twice as much that you normally would in the winter months. Grooming and bathing are a great way to notice a flea or tick problem. This will also increase the possibility of removing a minor infestation before a population increase.
- Vacuum your apartment or home frequently. Use a carpet fresh powder or baking soda and sprinkle it on your carpet. This will make it more difficult for the fleas to hop around in your carpet. Vacuum at-least once every few days. Please note if your vacuum contains a vacuum bag, dispose of the bag after use. If you have a canister vacuum, place a flea collar inside the canister prior to vacuuming.
- If you plan to go hiking, wear appropriate clothing and use a bug repellant. Even if your children are playing in a yard place them in light long sleeved clothing. This may sound ridiculous in warmer months, but as long as you keep them cool and hydrated this is the best way to keep ticks off your children’s skin. Try to also wear light colored clothing so that if fleas or ticks are present, you will see them immediately.
- If you suspect your child has ticks, or your pet has fleas DO NOT contact an exterminator. First contact a doctor or vet and let them know. Once they diagnose the problem, then you may take further action.
Just because we live in NYC does not mean that ticks do not effect us. Always be vigilant of ticks and fleas. If you have any further questions please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or give us a call at (718)336-0634 or visithttp://www.bedbugs-brooklyn.com
. If you have any tips to add, please do so in the comment section below!